Job Sharing Policy St.Dominic’s N.S.The Board of Management of St.Dominic’s N.S., in line with departmental regulations has drawn up the following policy taking account of relevant circulars. This policy is specific to the needs of St.Dominic’s NS and in framing this policy the welfare and educational needs of pupils take precedence over all other considerations.
This policy compliments the school ethos which seeks to promote the full and harmonious development of all aspects of the child in line with the doctrines, practices and traditions of the Catholic Church.
- To ensure that all stakeholders are aware of the policy and of the procedures and structures in place in order to facilitate the smooth operation of Job sharing.
- To inform all staff members of what is expected of them if/when engaged in a Job sharing arrangement.
Please refer to the relevant circular (0054-2019) as to terms and conditions laid down.
Applying for Job Sharing:
- All persons applying for Job Sharing are expected to familiarise themselves with the details of the Job sharing Scheme as outlined in all relevant circulars from the DES (See www.education.ie)
- An application must be made on the official application form before Feb 1st of the year in which the teacher proposes to take the leave.
- Teachers wishing to Job Share must submit an individual written application to the Board of Management before Feb 1st of the preceding academic year.
- An inter –school job-share will require both teachers to attend for an interview to assess compatibility. The teacher from an outside school will provide an up to date curriculum vitae together with appropriate references pending interview, the Board may or may not decide to approve the job share.
- Each Job Sharing application must be considered on its own merits by the employer within the context of the school’s policy on teacher absences.
- The employer must issue a decision in writing to approve or refuse the application (including the basis for refusal, where applicable), to the teacher no later than 1st March. The decision of the employer is final.
- Taking account of the extent of arrangements to be put in place by the employer to cater for a Job Sharing post, the teacher should not be permitted to withdraw his/her application after 14th April, or from once the replacement teacher's contract has been signed, whichever happens first.
Job Sharing- SNAs: As for teachers, the welfare and care needs of the pupils take precedence over all other considerations. The school shall have due regard to the capacity of the school to meet its obligations to pupils and shall therefore apply a limit to the number that may avail of the scheme at any one time.
The terms of circular 41/14 (Job Sharing for Special Needs Assistant), with the exception of point 6.7 shall apply.
Approval:The Board shall have due regard to the capacity of the school to meet its obligations to all pupils and shall therefore apply a reasonable limit to the number of its teaching staff that may be absent on Job Sharing/ Career Break/Exchange/Teacher exchange /and Secondment at any one time.
The BoM will sanction a maximum of 2 teachers in any one year on Job Sharing arrangements . (One in- school job share.)
The BOM reserves the right to make decisions to accommodate the exigencies of any situation that might arise on compassionate grounds.
Job sharing will not be practised in Junior Infants.
All permissions will be in line with DES circulars and INTO /CPSMA agreements.
The minimum period for which job sharing arrangement may occur is one full school year. However the Board of Management reserves the right to review and if necessary to terminate job sharing arrangement at any time if the Board decides it is not in the best interests of the pupils.
Persons wishing to extend the Job Sharing arrangement beyond one year must re-apply on an annual basis.
The Cathaoirleach BoM will outline to the Board –
- the extent to which the two proposed job sharers are compatible , flexible and complement each other’s skills and professionalism
- The levels of organisational and communication skills displayed by the proposed partners, as well as their attendance records.
In the event of applications for Job Shares, Career Breaks. etc. being in excess of the numbers agreed by the Board in any school year, the Board shall adjudicate on the matter by means of interview and by reference to the criteria to be notified ahead of interviews. Seniority will also be a factor in reaching a decision.
The Board will inform the DES of all approved Job Share Applications as necessary.
When the Board has sanctioned a Job Sharing arrangement, parents will be informed at the earliest opportunity by way of a special meeting called by the principal and the Board of Management.
Class levels /Teaching Duties:The allocation of classes remains the absolute prerogative of the Principal.
Time Sharing Agreement:The Board is only prepared to endorse week on/week off arrangement.
Position regarding attendance at In-Service Courses (including Curriculum Courses), ‘Croke Park Hours, School Planning Days and ‘Extra Personal Vacation’ (EPV) Days:Both teachers must be present for Parent/Teacher meetings.
Both teachers must be present for the drawing up of SSF with members of the SEN team and all staff meetings.
The remaining Croke Park hours may be shared equally between them. However it is the responsibility of the teacher present to inform the job sharing partner of what has taken place.
Job Sharing Teachers who attend In-Service Courses/School Planning Days on days they are not due to teach shall be granted leave in lieu.
A letter from the BOM Chairperson or Principal Teacher confirming attendance at the In-Service Course/School Planning Day will be submitted to the Primary Payments Section of the DES. The teacher should also notify Primary Payments Section whether s/he wishes to take a day's leave-in-lieu or payment for the In-Service Course/School Planning Day
A substitute teacher may be appointed in respect of leave in lieu days and be paid for by the Department. Job Sharing Teachers may not substitute for themselves during the days leave in lieu.
Job Sharing Teachers shall engage in Supervision Duty with both teachers sharing one post.
Both teachers must prepare together a full plan of work on a term by term basis.
- Both teachers complete full fortnightly plans using the school’s planning template.
- At the end of each month a detailed report of the curriculum taught and the progress made by the children must also be made and submitted to the Principal in the Cuntas Míosúil format.
- Both teachers shall communicate for sufficient periods of time at the end of each teaching shift to discuss and prepare the necessary hand-over.
- Job sharers are required to maintain a diary in which records of progress, of handover meetings and important events shall be noted. End of year reports shall be filled out jointly.
- Both teachers must be in attendance at all planning meetings in relation to the drawing up of Student Support Files for pupils.
Parental Involvement:As stated above the parents will be informed by the Board that the children will be taught by Job Sharing teachers in the following school year.
This will happen in term 3/start of term 1 by means of a letter advising them of the decision and inviting them to attend a meeting. Both teachers will also be required to attend and to present their plan for teaching, managing, assessing, planning etc. to the parents.
Evaluation/Review:The policy will be subject to review by the board as necessary and may be amended in light of-
Feedback from the various stakeholders,
The efficient and smooth operation of scheme
Benefits to the school arising from its implementation
Revised /New DES circulars/guidelines.
Communication:A copy of the policy will be available to view at the school office.
Parents whose children are to be taught by J.S teachers will be given copies at the meeting informing them of same.
Implementation: This policy will be implemented from September 1st , 2021and reviewed annually thereafter. It was ratified by the Board on_______________ and reviewed and amended by the Board again in ______________.
Chairperson of the Board: